Sunday, May 24, 2009

Netgear HDXB111 Powerline HD Plus Ethernet Adapter Kit



WiFi strength on my bottom floor isn't terribly strong (PS3 shows it between 35-45%), resulting in a choppy picture when I stream movies to my PS3 from my server upstairs (where the router and modem are located). I figured ethernet would be quicker, but drilling holes in the house wasn't an option. So I decided to try out the hdxb111, which uses the house's wiring to transmit the signal.

It comes with software which automatically detects the individual powerline units in range. I had a little trouble connecting the two, because of the security feature, but was able to solve that problem by turning the security off (not recommended by netgear).

Bottom line, the product worked pretty well, however, the signal still wasn't strong enough to stream my dvd rips (7gb a piece) mainly due to my house's old wiring (it was built in 1965). Newer houses should have better results.

No comments:

Post a Comment